Recycled Kids Craft: Apples

Pin It


I'm back! Although summer is still here I have Fall on the brain. Fall is my favorite time of year.

This is an easy craft, especially for all those Pre-K and K classes out there starting off the school year with an A theme. These are so easy to make and would make a great class Apple Tree display.

Supplies: clear glue, paint brush, clear plastic lids, hole punch, white, red or green tissue paper, stem with leaves (or use a brown pipe cleaner and green tissue paper cut into a leaf shape), apple seeds (or brown paper cut into seed shapes)

Day 1

Glue seed to inside of lid. Looks like a petri dish. Have kids arrange seeds using a toothpick.
Let dry overnight.

Adult prep: Determine top of apple and punch hole as far away from outside edge as possible.


Day 2

Rip tissue paper into small pieces.
Glue white tissue paper on inside of lid. Overlap paper for good coverage. 
Easiest method. Squirt glue all over lid. Spread it with a paint brush. Lay pieces of tissue on top. Brush with a bit more glue on top. This way fingers should stay clean.

Rip green or red tissue into thin strips. Add glue around inside edge. Place tissue down and using the paint brush - gently push and coax paper into place. Children will need an adult to demonstrate how to do this. It doesn't need to be perfect. It actually looks better the less precise it is. Let dry.


Adult prep: Glue stems into holes. A glue gun is probably the fastest. Older kids can glue the stem into place when gluing the tissue on by laying pieces of tissue over stem like bandages to secure.


They make great sun catchers too! Tie a thread or ribbon through the hole so kids can hang them from a window.



19 comments:

kathy said...

That is a wonderful craft. I love it. I wonder if you can use something else other then glue to help germinate them too even if you do not hang it up just leave it laying. Beautiful sun catchers

http://polwig.com

***Sharon*** said...

So glad you are BACK!!! And what a cute craft! Guess that means I better go buy some PRINGLES! ;)

jen at paintcutpaste.com said...

these are too cute! we'll have to try them!

ourlovevan said...

So beautiful...

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is WAY creative. I love this! Fall is my favorite too. I might have to make an apple pie this week. =) Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

M for Short said...

These look great, and very lifelike. Also am glad to see you 'up and posting' again. My oldest is back in school already, but maybe we can squeeze this in on a weekend.

HayatmnMucızesı said...

çok güzel, hemen deniyeceğiz...
segiler...

Anonymous said...

Great project, perfect for our New Year

Abbie said...

Yeay! You are back! I hope that the move and your summer went well! Thanks for coming by the blog today. I am a bit nervous about this tooth-thing. But I'll recover and life will go on.

I just forwarded this post to a pre-school mom friend who is always looking for crafts to do with her son. Thanks!

Michelle said...

These are awesome we are definitely going to try them!!

Katie said...

Those are great, I love anything that looks better the more less precise you are. Plus the results really are super cute. What are the plastic lids from, yogurt?

Mama King said...

We used two different types of lids. One was from a tube of toy dinosaurs and the other a can of Pringles. Good guess, Sharon!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Very cute!!! I absolutely love apples! :-D

mermaid said...

Beautiful!
We will try to make them as well :)

Make handmade said...

Great tutorial for kids, love it. thanks for sharing

elhadadepapel.com said...

incredible!!

Thanks for the nice idea!

Amanda said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts today! You can see it here
http://funfamilycrafts.com/plastic-lid-apples/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

Unknown said...

Where can I purchase thr lids?

Mama King said...

They are lids from Pringles containers. You could use any clear plastic lid. I use a lot of recycled materials in my crafts. Sorry for the confusion. Best of luck! Mama King

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs