What to do With Your Child's Artwork: Handprint Butterflies


OK, I know, this one is a no-brainer. We've all made these when we were kids. That is what makes them classic. I thought what a great way to showcase some of your prolific Picasso's painting. Which we have piles of!! We recycled one of Lulu's Mono-Prints for this projects.

I traced her hand with fingers closed -- notice no spaces between fingers. You can do it open - we did one that way -- they both look nice. I cut them out and together we glued them onto a piece of complementary colored construction paper. I cut out a body and had Lulu glue that down. Next I cut it out leaving a bit of the construction paper showing for visual effect. I added antennae by curling two strips of paper. Very cute for a pre-school classroom. Each child's name could be written on the body vertically. Below, I used a pipe cleaner for the body and antennae.

Another use for extra paintings is cutting them up for use in future collages. Lulu loves to use my punches. The smaller ones work better for smaller hands. She still needs help "punching" but loves the satisfaction of seeing it punched out. I just store these little treasures in a baggy for future projects.

18 comments:

Katie said...

Cute ideas as always! Thanks for sharing as my kiddo's art tends to be big sheets of abstract painted fun. So I've got lots of things pieces I can use these for!

grammy said...

I don't think my girls are a bit too big for this one, either - and what a great way to recycle the artwork that accumulates!

Katie said...

I linked to your post today, we were both posting on things to make out of your child's artwork.

http://katiesnestingspot.blogspot.com/2009/03/storytime-art-brown-bear-brown-bear.html

Mama King said...

Hi Grammy! Just a thought, the older girls can decorate their butterflies. Give them some options by putting out sequins, glitter, scissors, scraps of yarn or ribbon,markers to draw in details, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, extra painted paper (for cutting out shapes to add to the wings) & glue! Whatever you have at hand. You certainly don't need all this stuff...just ideas. Older girls will have fun (and the attention span) with embellishing and decorating part of the project.

Mama King said...

Thanks for linking! I'll be over after lunch and Emme goes down for her nap.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

i never made those when i was little, but i love them. i will definitely be bookmarking this to try in the future!

just stopping by today to wish a warm welcome to sits, we are thrilled to have you as part of the community!

grammy said...

Thanks for the ideas!

DairyQueen said...

great post! You have a GREAT blog! I bookmarked it so I can come back again!

Anonymous said...

The butterflies look fun! I'll have to try that.

Welcome to SITS!

Courtney said...

Hi, I just found your site from Katie's Bog!

Totally in love with it!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

What cute projects - and what a fun blog!

Dropping by to welcome you to SITS - so glad to have you join us!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the cute ideas! Who doesn't love playing with paper punches? I really need to get some more for my son!

junko said...

Really cute idea! I have a bunch of artwork i was going to send home with my preschoolers at the end of the month but now I think i will recycle some and use them for butterflies! Thanks for the tip :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, I *love* this idea!

sunnymama said...

These are such a lovely idea! I'm going to do this with some of Sunnyboy's artwork. Thanks :)

Lily said...

I love your blog and ideas. I will definately bookmark your page to visit again. I'll try butterfly hand prints.

The designer and organizer said...

its a cute idea..would love if you stop by at my blog...www.atthedesignerz.com

Jennifer said...

I love your site I have a blog can i write something about your site and what awesome ideas you have on it? Shoot me back an email and let me know. I am starting a section on parenting I currently just do giveaways reviews freebies and so on. I am a mother of 4 and come to your site a lot to check it out. Let me know and thanks for everything you do an awesome job.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs