Mother's Day Ideas: Card Board MOM Sign


This is a project for older children. I should think with an adults help an eight year old could manage this. I left the cardboard unpainted but you could spray paint it.

cereal box
paper cutter or scissors
glue gun

cut box into 7 one inch strips


curl 4 strips - start by running your fingers along the length of the strip several times - pulling up as you go. This will make it easier to then wrap the strip around your finger to curl.

To make a M: start with 2 curled strips

One strip folded in half to form a V. Notice the two ends are folded.

You will be gluing these items together. You will also be gluing a piece of ribbon to the top of one of the M's points.

Like so:

Place a bead of glue in fold of bottom point. See picture. This gives your M more rigidity. When your done gluing it should look like this. Repeat to make 2nd M.

To make the Heart O: Fold one strip in half and curl like so. Glue at base of V. This piece will be called part A.

This is the tricky part...well simple to do but hard to explain. Glue the two M's together mid curl. See photo. Leaving approx an inch or more to create a V which will be the base of the Heart. Glue part A to the V. See picture.

When you are finished it will be fairly sturdy. I think this came out so cute. It seems like it has a lot of steps but it isn't as hard as it looks. If you have middle school kids - I think they would have fun doing this and then probably wanting to figure out how to do their own name.

Here is a variation:

Have fun crafting with your kids! Mama King

9 comments:

Kat said...

WOW, what a brilliant idea! I love it!

Clemencia said...

Thank you so much for this awesome lesson and detailed pictures, that's why I have a Super Award for you in my blog :)

Katie said...

Wow Kim I LOVE it! You are so creative, I think I'll have to make one. I happen to have two old cereal boxes just waiting to be turned into something. I'm going to snag it for our Kid Make Mother's Day gifts post too!

Varny Voo said...

Wow thanks so much for this awesome Craft it will be a great gift to give my day care kiddies Mum's.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, this is SO cute! Thanks for sharing, I'll be linking.

Bobbi & Noe said...

OMGoodness! I don't know if my kids can do this- but can I? I wonder if I can get away with making it for myself? I love it!

Jaedyn said...

This would be really cute made with scrapbook paper - thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

thanks i made this for my mom for mothers day, i could make it and i am only 9 <3

Anonymous said...

wow, that was such a cute idea ! It worked wonderfully. I think my mom is going to LOVE it ! thanks !

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs