Beach Towel Poncho


Lulu and Emme love ponchos. Lulu has been taking swim lessons. I am always re wrapping her in her towel after class...so...you can hear the wheels turning...towel poncho! I've seen simpler type towel ponchos that are basically a towel folded in half with a slit put in it. This one requires a bit more effort but I think is sooooo much cuter and you can twirl in it!! Plus you can wear it with one arm out -- Grecian style. If I find a thinner towel I may put elastic in the neck band so it is much more versatile for playing with pool side - she can wear it as a strapless dress or skirt or on her head.....

Look how cute! I used two complimentary beach towels. You should be able to get 2 toddler sized ponchos out of the towels. I used the factory finished edge for the top piece. I cut out 3 triangle shaped panels from each towel (6 total). Sewed the panels together, alternating the pattern as I went. Sewed the "skirt" to the neck piece . Finished with a ribbon hem. I eyeball measured the neck piece and the length. I wasn't used to working with such a thick material so my sewing isn't that straight but all in all a one night project.

8 comments:

Anne said...

What a seriously cool idea!! I posted a link to your project on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/lookie-what-sh…h-towel-poncholookie-what-she-made-beach-towel-poncho/2009/04/02/
(link will be active April 3 12:09 am CST)
--Anne

Shannon said...

Wow! Love this idea! Thanks for a great project. I had to share the love. Check out www.luvinthemommyhood.com later today for a post on your poncho :)

Jess said...

Oh I love this. will make one for tilly next summer. thanks.
(:

Katie said...

Kim just saw you on One Pretty Thing, congrats!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I love this and linked to your site!

sewtakeahike said...

I LOVE this! Great idea. I'm coming over from 30 days!

Jonson said...

I really appreciate you for all the valuable information that you are providing us through your blog.

Heating Engineers said...

Pretty and colourful idea, my little girls would love to have one of these!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs