Cupcake Liner Fish

I bought these vibrant cupcake liners for the bright red liners (...yes, I've got Elmo on the brain.) I loved the other colors it came with and immediately thought fish...well mermaid...but that was too involved. See picture at bottom.

The great thing about this craft is that you can have children at varying skill levels create a simple or complex fish.






One cupcake liner. Cut out center circle. Cut up outside paper into chunks following the ridge lines. Glue down circle. Glue down fins and tail. Glue on googly eye. Bubbles were made with a bit of glue and glitter.










Three cupcake liners. One flattened for the body. Cut slit for mouth. Glue down. Cut another liner into quarters. Cut into liner following ridge but do not cut all the way through. Arrange for tail. Glue down. Last liner is used for fins. You can use the extra bit of the last liner to fill in tail. Glue down googly eye. Lu wanted to glue on sequins so our fish is very fancy.

The Rainbow Fish is similar to this fish except that I layered fish scales onto the body and used the scales for the tail. I used a aluminum foil scale to make hm look like Rainbow Fish.

Here is our mermaid. I tell you Lu likes to bling up everything! Give that girl some glitter and glue and she'll cover your cat in glitter if your not watching!

22 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Ooh, this is an awesome project. I doubt that I could whip up a mermaid, but fish looks doable, and we happen to be on an ocean streak. Fortunately, we don't have a preset end date for this theme, so I might try to do it still. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry said...

I love these! The mermaid especially, I think its a girl thing with that glitter glue, mine Lu does the same!

Beth- the mama bee said...

cute- we love the mermaid!

Amy said...

That is so amazing... If I did this mine would look like a glob of cotton..

JennyMac said...

These are awesome! I have never seen this. I have a 2 year old...collecting ALL sorts of "project" ideas for rainy days.

Crystal said...

Very cute! Fun craft and your mermaid turned out amazing. Also I know what you mean about glitter and glue!

Nadia said...

wow this is so creative... i'm new to blogging but i LOVE websites like this that are So full of inspiration! thank you so much

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Argh! This is the cutest thing I've seen all day! So adorable! I'll be linking.

Preschool Playbook said...

GORGEOUS! I simply LOVE these. They turned out so great. Wonderful, wonderful idea!

Heather said...

I love these, they are so cool and beautiful! AWESOME!! :-)

Katie said...

Those liners are fantastic colors. Your projects all turned out so cute. I love that you added one "Rainbow Fish" fin to the top fish. Your kids seriously do some great work;)

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

These are seriously insanely cute! I think you have captured the essence of "super-crafty-fun-mom" with this one project. Love how Lu likes to dress everything up in glitter!!

MaryAnne said...

These are super cute, the liner texture works well for scales. I don't think I can pull off the mermaid, but maybe we'll make some fish...

Goat Gal said...

I bet theses could be done with coffee filters and regular cupcake liners too! How cute!

Martha said...

those are just too cute. great job. wow.

Jennifer said...

That is adorable!!! completely overwhelmingly cute. We must do this immediately.

jennwa said...

Those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

LitLass said...

These are great!

Unknown said...

What a fun project! I'll be saving this one to try!

Michie said...

I love the fish - they are so pretty. I'm really going to have to get shopping soon for some glitter glue and sequins.

My daughter would LOVE the mermaid, but I don't know if I could pull that off.

Melissa said...

Fancy fish - I'm going to have to look for bright cupcake liners, for this project and for cupcakes!

Funkolicious Creations said...

These came out great! I really love the idea of using ordinary objects in new and different ways. The variety of fish and the mermaid are so unique and fun. I can't wait to try it with my little one! Thanks.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs