An Experiment With Mod Podge

During my idea drain, many of you were kind enough to suggest some projects that you have enjoyed. One of them was from:
Little Nut Tree said...

Otherwise how about toilet paper roll flowers/stars? I got it from Her Cup Overfloweth - link on my blog.

I immediately went over and checked out her post. Miraculously my brain turned back on and I remembered this post from 5 Orange Potatoes. 5OP used glitter glue in her project. We didn't have any so we used my favorite Mod Podge.








I taped down a piece of contact paper shiny side up on a old board. Because this takes forever to dry you are going to need to move it somewhere out of reach of toddlers to dry. Mine ended up with a few curious fingers in it. I began with gluing down a piece of tissue to make the entire piece stronger and to hold the flower together. Next I glued down the flower (pieces of toilet paper tube.) Lu and I filled the openings of the flowers with Mod Podge. Then the fun part, Lu sprinkled in beads and sequins. This took three days to dry and as you can see from the picture was not fully dry by photo time. The glue turns from opaque to somewhat clear. When dry peel off plastic and trim tissue paper backing. I glue a ribbon to the top two petals to make a hanger.

18 comments:

Elise said...

This looks gorgeous. What a fun craft idea, I think my little girl would love this!

Lulu's chalk drawing, Flowers For Daddy is "beauty full".

Elise

Little Nut Tree said...

Oh wow! That is so creative, I love it. And guess what, we just bought a bunch of sequins and glue which Froglet has been aching to use, and I wasn't sure what to do with... think we just got the answer!!!

Mama King said...

Little Nut Tree - Thanks for the inspiration! Hope Froglet has fun!

Morgan said...

That is really cool! What a neat decoration, and it doesn't even sound that hard to make. Thanks for the idea!

Amy said...

I better dig out my roll and give this a try some time soon. The mixture is glue?

Lisa said...

So pretty! I like the tp roll idea!

Lisa :)

Little Nut Tree said...

I have to ask - what are tschokis? Your profile says you used to design them.

Mama King said...

Lol! Tschoski's are slang for knick knacks. I should change that! I designed figurines, ornaments, picture frames, teapots, holiday place settings, small garden fountains... Basically stuff you would find in a gift store.

Katie said...

Oh wow is this fabulous or what! You've got to include this in the Mod Podge Mania for sure! Love it!

Christa said...

That's very pretty! I might have to make something to the effect of that as a window cling.

MaryAnne said...

This is really pretty! I need to buy some Mod Podge - I keep seeing amazing projects made with it on blogs.

Anonymous said...

This is really pretty. Definitely too elaborate for my lazy efforts, but wow!!! I see where Lulu gets her creative juices from.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, that's Mod Podge? It turned out great, I love it! I'll be linking.

Be Brave, Keep Going said...

here's the link from Her Cup Overfloweth.

http://michellesjournalcorner.blogspot.com/2009/04/craft-coardboard-stars-from-toilet.html

I am in love with how you tweaked it to make it your own. SO cute!

Unknown said...

This is SO cool! Never seen Mod Podge used this way. Does it hold up when the sun comes through the window? I mean, it doesn't get tacky or melt at all with the heat beating down on it? I'm fascinated! If you like Mod Podge, swing by - I think you will like what you see. I'd love to use your project! Cheers,

Amy

bylittlehands said...

What a fabulous idea! I am always looking for projects to do with the little ones that I will actually use! I can't wait to try this with the kids.

Macey said...

I just stumbled onto your site and this is such a cool idea and way to use mod podge! :)

melissa said...

this is awesome.. an't wait to try it myself. Ive made window clings with mod podge but not like this I love this..

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs