Simple Mardi Gras Mask Craft


My friend Linda came up with this great mask activity. This is one of the those projects perfect for a broad age range. Older kids can get more creative and embellish their mask. Begin with a piece of card stock. Trace a pair of sunglasses that fit your child onto the paper. This will be the back of the mask. The sunglasses will help you determine where the eye holes should be. Pretty clever! 

We knew we were going to create a butterfly mask, so I went ahead and traced my daughters hands on the same side as the sunglass outline.


Next turn the paper over and decoupage tissue paper onto the mask. We added sequins and glitter. Since you do not want glitter or sequins near a child's eyes I covered the paper with contact paper after it had dried. This sealed everything inside. Cut out mask into any shape desired. Attach (tape or hot glue) to a straw. stick, dowel, chopstick... You get the idea.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Fun Happy Friday... My Round Robin is next week if you want to join in on Friday feb 12th..

Sherri said...

I love that idea! thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

love this idea! thanks. Is now on our 'list to do'. (:

Carolyn @ Mama's Little Muse said...

Happy Fat Tuesday! I've made a rendition of these masks last year and this year with my preschool students and with my son! It is always a big hit! I wrote a blog poat about it and referred people to your site! Thanks for the inspiration! I love your blog!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs