Sunflower Craft

Todays craft was inspired by a trip to Whole Foods. Lu saw the beautiful sunflowers and said she wanted to make one at home. Here is our version of a craft that has existed since the dawn of crafting! If you have sunflower seeds use them. We did not so - we made a lentil flower! Also as you can see I didn't wait for the glue to dry. The white glue will dry clear...we hope.

This is an easy craft for all skill levels. Younger kids may need more of moms help and prep.



Supplies:
  • 2 Circles (I used a circle punch and poster board you can use whatever you have on hand just make sure it is sturdy enough to hold the glue & lentils)
  • Crepe Paper
  • Glue
  • Scissors
  • Lentils (beans), noodles or seeds (We didn't have any sunflower seeds on hand)
  • Large Popsicle Stick
  • Extras: foam or paper leaves, paint for Popsicle stick, rimmed cookies sheet, wax paper, paint brush for glue

Working on a rimmed baking sheet covered with wax paper makes for easier clean up and keeps the stray lentils on the tray instead of all over the floor & table. Squeeze or brush glue onto circle. Sprinkle lentils onto circle. We went back and squirted more glue on top so all the lentils would stay stuck.

Cut out small sections of crepe paper fringe. I folded the crepe paper over on itself several times, fringe cut it then cut into small sections. Older kids can do this step. They can even make the fringe look more petal like.

Glue second circle. Have child place fringe pieces around edge. Adding more glue as needed. We did several layers to create a fuller look.

Squeeze glue onto last layer of fringe. Place the first circle on top of the second. Let dry over night.

Meanwhile, you can paint a large Popsicle stick and add leaves if you like. Glue sunflower to stem. Let dry.

We hurried up this step - so the glue (as you can see) is not dry.

11 comments:

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

That is so cute... I love your lentil flower!! I really appreciate how you improvise with things like that. Way to go!!

jennwa said...

I love those lentil flowers. Very pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Monica said...

UAOOOOO COGRATULATIONS!!!

Amy said...

That is so wonderful.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so, so cute, I love it! And I love lentils! I'll be linking.

Christie said...

This is very cute. I am sure Cali would love making these also.

Debra said...

Seriously too cute! My little one is a bit too small for this, but I'm bookmarking you!!! :-) Thanks

Preschool Playbook said...

This turned out great.

***Sharon*** said...

Yet another 4 Crazy Kings project to put on my to-do list!

International Flower Delivery said...

haha the finishing touch. nice creation anyway.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the cute idea. I think I will have my daisy troop make daisies instead. White crepe paper and i will try to find yellow kidney beans or some yellow beans(not sure if possible)

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs