Halloween Craft: Spooky Sun Catcher

I got this idea while working on a project for Grown In My Heart (where I contribute.) It will post next week.

It is easier than it looks. I recommend this project for Middle School Age children and younger children who can use delicate/gentle strokes when painting on the tissue.

The image can be changed to create a pumpkin face or even an abstract creation. Same technique can be used for a Thanksgiving Turkey or Christmas scene.

Supplies:
Embroidery Hoop / any size
Tissue Paper
Mod Podge
Foam Brush
Scissors
Wax Paper
Ribbon (Optional)




Work on Wax Paper so it is easier to lift project off if it is a bit sticky.

Trace a circle larger than your inner embroidery hoop. I used a dinner plate.

Cut out circle. Apply glue to top of hoop and sides including inside of hoop.
Using foam brush tamp down tissue paper.
Let Dry.






Meanwhile cut out your pieces. Any design or words would work well.















Mod Podge design on top of hoop.
Let Dry.
Mod Podge underside paper to get translucent look and will make piece stronger when dry.

If working with younger children, I recommend Mod Podging front (let dry) and back before applying design. This will provide a stronger base for smaller children to work with. It is surprisingly strong once Mod Podged.

Optional: Add ribbon to outside edge.



Another variation:I made a miniature one by using the plastic circle that was the safety seal on my mayo jar. See below.














I think this one came out so cute!









Happy Halloween!!

18 comments:

krisz said...

Another great idea.It should be so much fun to make.I have to try this one as well.Thank you!

Morgan said...

I really like the spiderweb one! What a cool idea!

abbie said...

Ohh, I love the spider web one too. My son is crazy for images of spiders, but I think he is an arachnophobic-in-the-making. Since finishing sewing the kid's halloween costumes, this holiday is far from my mind...I am in the throws of stocking creation and putting my holiday gift list together...gosh I am just worse than Hallmark! Great crafty idea and I am glad to see that your Mod-podge is out of the fridge. :)
Abbie

Anonymous said...

WOW !!! its beautiful.
we can make a nice version for Hanukkah. Thank you for all your wonderful ideas :-)
Sapir

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so cool! I love the pp's idea for different holidays, what a fun project. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Both of these are adorable! Seriously, that spooky house rocks. How cute!

Bobbi & Noe said...

I was just thinking that I need to replace my summer suncatcher project with something!!! Thanks so much for the idea!

Cindy said...

Love this. So easy. You are the best.

Amy said...

These are really neat....

Unknown said...

This is why I love Mama King! It's awesome. :D

babalisme said...

Spook-tastic!!

The spiderweb looks so much fun too!!

Thank you for getting my dress up printable, please share your photos with them :) I'll be really glad!

Regina said...

Wow, this is so cool! You could do so many different things with this technique! THanks for the instructions and inspiration.

jennwa said...

That looks amazing. I will have to try that.

Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

Very cool and creative! You guys did a GREAT job!

Christie said...

I am loving the little spider web. So cute!

Sherry said...

What a GREAT AND FUN idea! I love the spider web too!

Beth- the mama bee said...

so cute!

Katie said...

These are sooooo freakin' cool Kim!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs