Feed the Birds


You may have noticed we have been doing a lot of outings and not a lot of crafts. As soon a s school starts we will go back to our regular routine. I will be posting a craft project every Monday and Wednesday starting September 14th.

Until then we have been enjoying the beautiful weather. One of our favorite sunny day places to go is our local children's Zoo. We have a membership which makes going less of a commitment. We can go and visit a few exhibits, have a picnic and ride the little train and go. We know we are coming back so no need to see the entire Zoo and traipse all over mankind. We go year round and the girls never tire of it (maybe 6 times a year.) I have them pick one paying activity each time. Nothing costs more than $2 but I want these activities to be special and not expected that we ride the carousel, ride a pony, and feed the birds every time we go.

I let Lulu choose the activity this time because she had acquired 10 big sister stickers on her rewards chart. These stickers were given to her if I saw her helping her sister, making good choices, walking away from potential conflict and being kind to her sister. Lulu was really motivated by the chart and I saw her think twice a couple of times without me saying anything.

Lulu chose the Aviary as her activity. For $2 you get a stick with bird seed stuck to it. The birds (Australian Budgies) will fly down and eat from your stick. Pretty cool!

Have a great day!

9 comments:

Amy said...

How fun is that...

Have a great weekend.

Tiff said...

What a great idea in preparing them to choose 1 paying activity before we go. We too utilize our zoo membership a lot throughout the year and it seems as soon as we are through the gate my eldest is asking to go on the carousel, feed the birds, giraffes, have ice cream, etc.

I'm totally going to follow your rule next time! :)

MaryAnne said...

This looks like fun. We've been crafting a lot less also because it's just too nice to stay indoors...

I really like the idea of big sister stickers!

April said...

These times really will be priceless memories for your family. Love the pics!

imene said...

The boys love the aviary. But we were unlucky the last two times, the bird were not hungry.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

What a great treat! (For the girls and the birds!) I love the idea of the big sister reward chart... you are so clever!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

What a great treat! (For the girls and the birds!) I love the idea of the big sister reward chart... you are so clever!

Kristin said...

I love the outings! It is great for me to see what other families do and get ideas for some activities, even if involves hand-washing laundry! I wouldn't have tried that on my own. :)

Preschool Playbook said...

This sounds like a great zoo, and great prices for activities for the chidlren.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs