Art Storage: A Lesson from Mom

In honor of My Mama! I learned from the best!

This the old expandable file folder my Mom stored my childhood masterpieces in. Can't you just see the raw talent! She had one for each of us girls (3 all together.) A couple of years ago she was cleaning out her office and came upon them. We didn't know she had been saving our notes, drawings, book reports... all these years. It was a wonderful surprise to go through! It meant a lot to me that she had saved these pieces from my childhood. I wanted to do the same for my girls.

I found a sturdy file folder with a handle at Staples and bought two. As the artwork comes down off the wall or fridge I decide what to keep, what to reuse (cut up for collage) and what to toss. I then jot down on the back a date, name and any anecdotes. Like, "you had more paint on you than on the paper!" When the girls are a bit older they can even decorate or decoupage their folders! I leave the folders in a spot that is easily accessible so I'll be sure to remember to occasionally file & purge!


I am linking this post to Keeping Up With the Shultz Family's Round Robin Event. If you would like to join:
"Here is what you need to do: Post something fun on your blog that you would like to share with other bloggers. Like a craft idea, fashion tips, a recipe, a "Meme" you may have on your page, a giveaway, if you have a business show off what you have, or anything your little heart desires. Just remember to keep it clean. I do not want anyone getting hurt. After you have your idea ready come on back to my blog and link up with "Mr. Linky" Then keep coming back to see more ideas, learn something new and even meet some new friends."

10 comments:

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Love this idea!! I may have to use it too - the artwork is taking over my house.

Amy said...

I think I have some of those laying around from my college days. I am so going to do this. Thanks for stopping by and playing along. I hope to see you again. Have a great day and weekend.

Crystal said...

Thanks for the idea. I have been looking for a way to save my daughters art.

abnsigoslady said...

What a sweet thing to do. Thanks. Laura @ the mansion

Katie said...

I love it, I am planning on saving a bunch of our artwork too. I wish I had some from my childhood. My mom is queen of pitching things out! I did have a lot saved for a long time, in my "special" drawer in my childhood bedroom but then when I moved I mad the mistake of throwing those out too. I just didn't appreciate them!

Xazmin said...

This is a great idea. My problem is...my son went trhough a phase where he drew like 30 pictures a day!

I have boxes full of drawings!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

My mom used the same thing, and it works really well, but I had since forgotten all about it! I so need to get one of these for all of Emily's art projects. Great post!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea -- I have all their art work stored in boxes -- My kids love to paint and draw. TFS

Happy Mothers Day

Amy said...

I left you something on my blog.

Brilliant Moms said...

Wonderful storage idea! Very smart to date the artwork, too.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs