Random Idea: Activity Book


We get sent approx. once a month a large envelope filled with advertising and coupons. Most of it is useless but we hate to throw them away. The ads are blank on one side. I clip them together (bull clip or staples work fine - if your worried about staples cover with thick tape) to make scrap paper pads for the girls. This works well for little ones who go through paper like crazy.

We took it one step further today by making todays scrap pad into an activity book for Lu. Lately she has been going crazy for mazes, folding paper and dot to dots. I just drew a bunch of simple mazes and such on each page. Lu loved it! She esp. liked the simple mazes. I got her a maze coloring book but it was a little too challenging for her.

Folding paper is a very easy to teach. I had Lu bring the bottom of the paper (which I colored orange to help visually) up to the orange line. Line up and then smooth down with your hand to the folded edge. Paper folding is something that you don't think about teaching but is a skill that is helpful.

8 comments:

DairyQueen said...

neat idea! too bad we don't get those. my girls go through TONS of paper!

Beth- the mama bee said...

good idea! We get those a lot too. I will doing doing this and linking it back to you so you can see :)

***Sharon*** said...

You are so unbelievably talented it blows my mind!!! Come to my blog to pick up the award I am passing on to you! You ROCK!

Amy said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Katie said...

I love it, what a great way to use something that would end up in the trash!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

I'm loving the paper folding idea! Emily is a huge fan of mazes too, and I'm constantly drawing them for her. Love how you re-used the flyers... great idea!

Preschool Playbook said...

I love this idea. Never thought of the paper folding idea--thanks.

Beth- the mama bee said...

I have made a few little booklets now for my Bee now. Thanks for the ideas. I blogged about it here: http://mamabeefromthehive.blogspot.com/2009/05/activity-books.html

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs