Simple Weaving Project for Toddlers


I wanted Lu to practice her weaving skills (fine motor) so I cut large toddler size slits into a long strip of white card stock. The big opening makes it easier for them to thread the ribbon through. Remember you don't want this to be too frustrating for them. I showed Lu what I wanted her to do then I helped by holding the strip and reminding Lu...in...out...in...out. After awhile she didn't want help and tried it on her own. The great thing about this project is it is simple to pull out the ribbon and start over. You can model the steps, have her practice with your help and then start fresh with no help at all. We made it into a crown/head band after we were done.

I used a box cutter to cut the slits. I drew lines with a pencil on the other side. It actually did not take that long to do. Cut all your vertical lines first then your horizontals.

Measure out a piece of ribbon about 6 inches longer than the weaving piece. Makes it easier to tie off.
Have fun crafting with your kids, Mama King!

5 comments:

Katie said...

I saw the title before the picture on my blogger dashboard and thought, "This I've GOT to see," cause weaving and toddler don't normally go together without a lot of tears. This does look doable, however! Great idea, may have to do this but not until next week when she's in a better mood. Someone's crabby today.

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

What a great idea. I'm not sure if I will be able to get my guy to sit still for that long, but I'm going to try.

Thanks for your nice comments and stopping by my blog. (And yes, you can Modge Podge anything that'll sit still long enough for it to dry...)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

What a fun idea, and I love making the head band out of it. I'll be linking.

Xazmin said...

That's such a fun idea! What a great exercise!

Xazmin

Heidi Boos said...

Great idea! i think my daughter would enjoy this...once she gets the hang of it! ;)

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs