Kids Craft: Handmade Wrapping Paper

This project was inspired by the wonderful mess made over at Adventures of Mommydom's Blog recently. She and her kids had a blast creating their own wrapping paper. We just had to get in on the fun and make our own mess...I mean masterpiece!

While Lu was at school, Em and I had at it. Boy did she have fun! We used a paper grocery bag that I cut open. This special paper will be used to wrap her Daddy's Christmas gift.

For those of you who are mess phobic try these tips:

Have a vinyl table cloth designated for craft projects.
Have a damp sponge and or dish towel on hand to wipe up spills and or messy hands as you go.
Have child wear a smock. We use Daddy's old t shirts.
You control the paint. Distribute a small amount onto a paper plate or old yogurt container.
Even better use DOT style paints. The paint is contained in the bottle and your child dabs on the paint as they go.
Help smaller children by rotating the paper if they are over working one area.
Keep telling yourself it is all washable!
Have your camera ready to take the requisite messy painted child picture!

Have fun crafting with your kids!

10 comments:

Ticia said...

Awesome! I love your rendition. It reminds me of doing this as a kid with paper bags. It's so much fun.

Anonymous said...

great idea!

jacque4u2c said...

Turned out great!

Amy said...

I love that idea..

Kristine said...

We have the other problem. I'm happy with mess but my little one doesn't like it. She's getting more courageous about it. Even did a little papier mache yesterday!

Mama King said...

Kristine - Paper Mache! That is a big step! Even my messy girls become quite dainty and I hear a lot of yucks when we do paper mache. So, I'm impressed!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Ha! We'll be making our own wrapping paper soon too, and I cannot wait!! I think both of the girls will love it and I really enjoyed your tips for people who are afraid of messy projects. :-)

Elise said...

We are also going to be making our own wrapping paper soon. I am gathering supplies so that we can paint with anything but paint brushes - should be fun. Home made wrapping paper is the best and yours looks so festive.

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

Ookay.....I'll try it! Great idea!

Katie said...

I've been thinking of doing this too, so you are right great minds think alike! I was thinking of doing it on newspaper and really getting into the whole recycling bit too. Do you think the newspaper would be too thin?

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs